The following are general FAQs for your immediate information; each workshop may have specific differences. Call TCIA at 800-733-2622 if you have specific questions about applying for a grant and hosting a workshop.
What types of workshops do ASTI grants fund?
- ASTI grants fund a variety of workshops, encompassing specialties such as chipper operator basics, felling, rigging, chain saw safety, aerial lift operation and aerial rescue, and many other safety training disciplines. Click here for more details.
How do I apply for an ASTI grant?
- Apply for an ASTI grant online
- You may also download an application and fax, mail or email to the ASTI Grant Office:
- Tree Care Industry Association
ASTI Grant Office, Attn: Jodie Wisherd
136 Harvey Road, Suite #101
Londonderry, NH 03053
- Phone: (603) 314-5380; Fax: (603) 314-5386; Email: email@example.com
- Grantees are permitted to submit two grant applications per grant cycle for consideration.
When should I apply for an ASTI grant?
- ASTI grant applications will be reviewed bi-annually. Please submit your application by the following deadlines:
- March 1 (Workshops held August 1, 2017 – January 31, 2018)
- August 15 (Workshops held February 1, 2018 – July 31, 2018)
As a municipality, can I apply for/attend an ASTI workshop?
- If your municipality is donating space to host the ASTI workshop, you may initially register three individuals for the workshop. If space still remains seven days before the scheduled workshop, you may register additional attendees.
What are my responsibilities as a workshop host?
- You are required to read the Host Instructions,
which specify registration requirements, attendee numbers, costs,
training materials, and more. For a quick overview, download the ASTI Grant Checklist.
Where can I host an ASTI workshop?
- The facility must be free or provided at a low cost; strong preference will be given to donated facilities. The proposed location must accommodate a minimum of 30 students. Classroom style (long tables with chairs in rows) or rounds (round tables with chairs) are preferred. The rated-room capacity should allow for 40 adults.
- Audio visual equipment (laptop, DVD player, projector and screen) must be available, either provided by the location or rented.
- In some cases, the workshops may require a demonstration in an outdoor area and therefore will require an adequate outside location, such as a parking lot.
Can I charge a fee for my ASTI workshop?
- Grantees are allowed to charge a nominal fee to workshop attendees, not to exceed $25/person for part-day and $35/person for full-day workshops. This fee can be used to purchase the attendees and presenters coffee in the morning and lunch during the full day sessions.
Can I host a workshop just for my employees?
- Workshops should be targeted toward small businesses and their workers who may be untrained or hard to reach with training for various reasons. Workshops must be made available and open for all local companies and interested parties to attend. Marketing outreach must extend beyond your company and employees.
Where can I find an instructor for my ASTI workshop?