Becoming a CTSP
To become eligible for the Certified Tree Care Professional program, you must meet at least one of following requirements:
The ideal CTSP also shares attributes similar to a coach:
- Three years’ of technical field experience in tree care with at least one year of assumed responsibility for safety (i.e., crew leader, trainer, safety committee member, emergency responder, certified CPR/first aid provider, etc.)
- Six months’ technical field experience in arboriculture and one year in a professional safety position
- Two- or four-year degree in Arboriculture, Forestry, Ornamental/Environmental Horticulture, Natural Resources, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety or other related field with an internship that provided technical field experience
Municipal and Utility Arborists:
- Good communication skills
- Strong instructional skills
- Model behavior that leads to a safer environment
Because your employers are ineligible for TCIA membership, the CTSP program extends TCIA member pricing to you for enrollment and certification workshops as a professional courtesy.
Please call 800-733-2622 for details.
Candidates should first fill out the Enrollment Application and return to TCIA (fax or mail) with the enrollment fee.
- TCIA will review the application and if approved, you will have 18 months in which to complete the remaining CTSP requirements and certification process.
- The enrollment cost for TCIA members is $163.50; the cost for non TCIA members is $323.50.
CTSP Study Guide with Critical Thinking Exercises
Once enrolled, the candidate will receive the CTSP Study Guide with Critical Thinking Exercises. Designed to build your skills and knowledge of Safety Management, these must be completed and submitted to TCIA. They will be reviewed, but not graded.
Candidates will attend an Advanced Safety/Behavioral Workshop, which will cover teaching safety concepts, plus help candidates’ develop a coaching style based on their own company’s needs.
- The exam is comprised of one full (8 hour) day and 2 hours of instruction the following morning, followed by a 3 hour time period allotted for the exam.
Multiple workshops are held throughout the year and in locations nationwide.
- The workshop fee for TCI members is $359; the fee for non TCIA members is $475.
- There is an exam surcharge of $25.
- Candidates can save up between $15 and $34 if they book their spot before the early bird deadline.
View upcoming workshops
Candidates must pass the CTSP exam after completing the workshop. TCIA strongly recommends taking the exam immediately after the workshop and offered at the workshop location. However, if necessary candidates may take the exam by visiting a test facility convenient to them after taking the workshop.
If you do not pass the exam, you are allowed two retakes. There are several options:
- Retake the entire workshop at a reduced cost
- Take exam only at a future workshop
- Visit one of over 40 proctored test facilities around the US to take the exam.
Candidates have up to 18 months from when they enroll to fulfill all program requirements.
Maintain Your Certification
CTSP’s must always be developing their knowledge and expertise in safety through constant learning and growth, teaching others, the implementation of CTSP’s teachings, and through contributing to the intellectual property of the CTSP program. To maintain CTSP, candidates must also obtain 30 CEUs during their three year recertification period and submit a renewal fee every three years.